• Creativity/Innovation

I work hard and pride myself in being adaptable and flexible, easily changing my plans to better correspond with the needs of my learners. For example, if the room is low energy, I try to introduce a physical element to the lesson. Alternatively, if we are working well at our desks, I might skip a physical task and take advantage of the effective desk learning. I think that creativity and innovation are the bedfellows of adaptability and flexibility. I paint, sew, make soap, sketch, design, and dream. As a creative person, I think my teaching benefits from my knowledge of art and experience making art. When I taught Identity, I provided a personal example of a self-portrait with three strengths and one goal to work on. The students responded to my example with smiles, energy, and many questions. When the students made their own self-portraits, they used mine as an example. I was able to offer advice to the students on different ways to draw or colour. In several other lessons, I was able to integrate a piece of art such as Picasso’s self-portrait when we were learning 2D shapes. I gave the students a short biography of the artist and linked the portrait to the learning intentions. The students were attentive, curious, and inquisitive. When we searched for 2D shapes in our classroom and natural environment, students were curious to find shapes on the classmates, in the light fixtures, in the trees, and in the clouds. I think that creative thinking inspires young learners to be more careful observers of the world. I also think it helps young learners feel that learning is fun. In respect to innovation, I used a guest speaker to talk about Diwali. I prepared the students for Diwali by reading a story and introducing the customs. We used Zoom for the presentation. The speaker is from India, and she showed students the same things we had read in the story and discussed before the presentation. She lit a Dias, which is a clay lamp and answered a lot of questions (what kind of oil do you use in your lamp? Do you have snake charmers in India? Where do you put and what do you use to dye your Rangoli?). The next day, the students were still talking about Diwali. I feel proud to celebrate world cultures and holidays, and I think using guest speakers (sometimes over Zoom) is an innovative way to make learning more global. Overall, I feel that my creativity and innovation is a strength that will interest employers. Moreover, I think my art and adaptability will make learning interesting and fun for young learners.