Learning takes patience and time, especially in context to mathematics. At my current practicum, the Grade 2 students have developed confidence in Grade 2 level mathematics, but even so, patience, repetition, practice, and time was needed.

I taught a mini unit on Addition and Subtraction with Base 10 Blocks using manipulatives. Students had practiced using Base 10 blocks, so for the first lesson I reflected on and facilitated practice on addition up to 100. I gave the students equations and had them work them out with their table partners and then write their answers on individual whiteboards. After everyone was finished, I said, “1, 2, 3, Show your answers!” Everyone held up their whiteboards. The group “check” inspired the students to make sure they had the correct answer. Several students had to go back to their tables and figure out where they went wrong. I reinforced the idea that group work, play, and courteous competition all contribute to a positive learning experience. 

In the second lesson, I found that a lot of repetition was required when introducing the new concept of regrouping. For example, subtraction using Base 10 Blocks proved more challenging than addition. When working on subtraction equations, many students missed steps and had to go back. However, the students were working in pairs, so it was easier for me to facilitate a failure-positive attitude in the students. I think that the small groups helped build individual confidence during the lesson. Again, we used the whiteboards to write and share our answers. Again, the students loved seeing what their classmates had done. 

For the third lesson, I had the students gather found objects that would represent the Base Units of 1s and 10s. For example, some students gathered pebbles for Base 1 and sticks for Base 10 Blocks. When I gave the students addition and subtraction equations to solve, I also gave them an iPad (which they were comfortable using) and asked them to record each other as they worked out the problem. I told the students to pretend that they were teachers who needed to explain to their partners how to solve an equation. I found that the students loved the added responsibility. By asking them to record each other, I focussed their attention. I told them that the video would be uploaded to their Learning Files, which can be viewed by their families. Again, this information excited the students. I found that they were eager to share with their families, which signaled to me that the students were growing in confidence. 

Overall, I think the introduction of new concepts requires patience, practice, repetition, play, and a failure-positive attitude. I found that Addition was easier for the students than Subtraction, so I needed to spend more time modelling Subtraction equations. I also found that by getting outside to collect found objects for the third lesson I was able to connect the math lessons to the outside. The students, again, enjoyed the activity. When the students were smiling during the math lessons, I felt that we were in a better place to learn.Â