In Block 1, I inquired about whether or not there is a gap between theory and application. I wanted to know how classroom theory translated into the teaching classroom. I also wanted to know the limits of theory in a classroom context. This Block we learned about assessment strategies, ADST for the Humanities and Math and Science, and FPPL theory and classroom application. To import, include, or weave these ideas into lessons and classroom application involves careful thought and attention to the goals of the class.

For my practicum I was placed in a Kindergarten/ Grade 1 class that had students from diverse cultural backgrounds, family dynamics, and learning styles. I learned that I had to be highly prepared and adaptable to meet the needs of the classroom. Before theory there is the reality of a classroom of diverse learners—some well-rested and well fed, some tired and hungry, some ready to learn, others not—and the teacher, I observed and experienced, has to encourage each student to feel empowered and focussed on the lesson at hand. For example, while teaching, I had a nonverbal student who needed one-on-one attention and redirection; a student in a wheelchair who I wanted to make sure was included, even in physical activities; as well as students who ranged from working at grade level to working below grade level. I found that it was important to understand the students’ families and routines so that I could build community through empowerment. I also recognized that the classroom community includes, in addition to the teacher and the students, the EAs, the Librarian, the Aboriginal Educator, the ELA teacher, Youth Workers, as well as other teachers and the administration. Above all else, I think I need to create an atmosphere where students feel like they are cared about by a teacher who is well-prepared, knowledgeable about the subjects being introduced, and open to a diversity of needs. 

I found that the act of reflection is important in the classroom on at least two levels. One, I applied reflection activities in my lessons. I experienced students who were excited by the development and articulation of their own ideas. In fact, as students found agency around a skill, I saw their physical and emotional dispositions improve. I liked to keep the young learner’s brains working by doing jumping jack brainstorm session. By giving the students opportunities to exercise their bodies and brains, I think the students were able to focus and engage on the lessons. In addition I worked hard to ignite a natural curiosity to work on and complete the exercises. I used debriefing sessions (talking circles) to allow students to share their work, which at heart was a reflection exercise. Second, I debriefed my lessons with my coaching teacher in order to reaffirm what went well and to make adjustments for the next lesson. I found these sessions invaluable as I was given validation for my preparation and exercise planning as well as helpful criticism the parts of lesson that needed work. For instance, after one lesson, my coaching teacher explained the need for redirection. Even though I thought I was clear, some students need to be told the same instruction with different words. Also, some students have to be encouraged to stay on topic. In my next lesson, I was prepared with ideas for how to express myself clearly, plus I was ready to be adaptable. I found the reflection exercise to be helpful to my lesson planning.

There are so many ways to teach a lesson. Sometimes, one approach that works in theory will not work in a specific class. I had a young, traumatized student who was very sensitive to any criticism. A promoted strategy involves using a “first, then” method. In other words, the teacher is supposed to negotiate with the student. I tried, “first you have to finish your work and then you can go to the water fountain.” For other learners, this approach was agreeable. However, for my sensitive student, the negotiation was not negotiable: the student shut down. I learned that it was better to not intervene immediately. I used reminder words and phrases, little pokes, and the strategy of non-intervention to let the student join a lesson when ready. Of course, I am inexperienced in these kinds of situations, and my coaching teachers said that I would build up experience as I spent more time in the class. Rather than go to the theory, I had to adapt to the student in real time. By observing and looking for mentorship, I was able to make effective decisions. 

My classroom experience showed that there is a lot of labelling of students: “this student is …”; “this student is …”; etc. In my opinion, the labels lead to simplified solutions. For example, I think the number of young learners on prescription medication is alarming. Rather than label students, I think the teacher should separate the problem from the student. For example, overactivity or an inability to concentrate can be addressed with changes in lesson planning. Who doesn’t suffer from the urge to fidget? Who wouldn’t rather play or chat with friends than do school work? I think we should keep labels off of students and address problems as problems that can and often to do affect nearly everyone. 

At the end of Block 2, I think the heart of my initial inquiry is the following question: Although every student learns differently and at a different pace, should the class be held back by individual needs? A follow up question I have is how can we as teachers give top students the opportunity to push ahead?