Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development.

I am very organized as evidenced by my lesson planning, assessment recordings, and general documentation of daily observations. I keep my notes dated and filed for easy recall. My goal is to have clear, meaningful documentation of student learning on a daily basis.

My Unit Plans are a guide for my daily planning. I prioritize linking “I can” statements to the BC Curriculum. By making clear and meaningful “I can” statements, the students are clear about what they are expected to learn. With clear expectations, everyone in the classroom can work more proficiently. For example, when I developed the Bat Life Cycle Unit, I used “I can identify and sort the stages of a bat’s life cycle.” To practice this leaning, students watched a PowerPoint presentation, asked questions, did a cut-out and organize activity, plus a debrief. I used text with images and sometimes video. I observed the students questions and discussion, their participation in the exercise and debrief. I used the cut-out and organize idea for a summary assessment. In this case, some students needed additional practice, so I added a review lesson the following class to ensure that every student was confident. At the end of a lesson, I always review my Learning Intentions. In this way, I remind the students that we accomplished our objectives.

I always aim to create a respectful, inclusive learning environment. With careful planning, observation, and documentation, I work to make every student’s learning a priority. I also make sure to communicate the student’s development to the student, the EA, the student’s parents or guardians, and others in the school community. The goal is always to help each student reach their potential.